In magazines, on TV, and on billboards, new mothers seem to bounce back in an incredibly short amount of time after giving birth. So, what is their secret? Although we cannot be certain, we do know that mommy makeovers are in high demand.
A mommy makeover is a unique procedure that customizes several cosmetic treatments into one. This combination of procedures can cause many women to wonder what their recovery time will be like and how they can speed up the process; this blog will help give you a better idea of what to expect from your mommy makeover procedure.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A woman’s body undergoes a complete transformation during pregnancy and childbirth and this can greatly affect a new mother’s confidence. A mommy makeover consists of a customized combination of procedures that improve the look and feel of areas most affected by pregnancy.
● Belly procedures: Tummy tucks, or abdominoplasty procedures, can give you a slimmer stomach by eliminating sagging or loose skin. Additionally, the procedure tightens abdominal muscles that are stretched or strained during pregnancy.
● Breast procedures: Breasts can flatten or sag due to hormonal changes caused by breastfeeding and pregnancy. To restore perky, full breasts, postpartum women often undergo breast lifts or breast augmentations.
● Labiaplasty: This procedure improves the appearance of long or asymmetrical labial folds by removing excess skin from the labia.
● Liposuction: Exercise and diet do not work for some pockets of fat. Body areas such as the arms, legs, abdomen, buttocks, and neck can benefit from liposuction. It makes the body appear slimmer and healthier, just as it did before pregnancy.
Mommy Makeover: What to Expect
Since a mommy makeover is a major surgical procedure, many women are worried about the recovery process. Your recovery time depends on how quickly your body recovers and the type of procedures you undergo. Typically, recovery periods are longer for patients who have multiple procedures. The recovery time for the most common procedures is as follows:
Breast lift/augmentation – Expect to return to work after a few days but avoid heavy lifting for 6 weeks after the procedure.
Liposuction – You can return to work the next day, but you should wait 6 weeks before exercising vigorously or lifting.
Tummy tuck – It takes about two weeks to get back to work and at least 6 weeks before lifting or exercising.
After a mommy makeover surgery, the incisions will be wrapped in bandages and gauze. Support bras and elastic bandages minimize swelling and support the breasts. Swelling in the abdomen, waist, and buttocks may also be controlled with a compression garment.
Mommy Makeover: Recovery
Recovery from a mommy-makeover surgery usually takes 4-6 weeks, depending on the procedures performed. However, everyone’s body heals differently, so you may need a slightly shorter or longer period of time to heal. Following all instructions and recommendations given by your doctor is essential. Specific instructions will be given to you, such as:
● How to take care of your surgical site(s) after surgery
● Medications that aid healing and reduce infection risk
● Surgical site or general health concerns to watch out for
● The timing of your plastic surgeon’s follow-up visit.
During your recovery period, be sure to ask your plastic surgeon about:
● What will happen after my surgery is over?
● What kind of medication will I receive after surgery?
● Do I need to wear dressings/bandages after surgery? What is the timeline for removing them?
● Is there going to be a drain? How long will it last?
● What is the best time to shower or bathe?
● When can I resume exercising and doing normal activities?
● What is the next step in my care?
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about mommy makeovers, schedule a consultation at Howland Plastic Surgery in Draper, UT. Dr. Howland is available to discuss whether you are a candidate for this procedure and to develop an approach that is specifically tailored to you based on your specific goals. You can call our office at 385-313-8590 or schedule an appointment online.